Life can be challenging. That’s why we need the truth of God’s Word guarding our heart. Get this free set of printable Bible verses!
I can remember the day it really set in that my husband was gone. My kids were taking naps and I was sitting on my couch at the end of myself. Despair tempted me to crawl into a hole and just eat chocolate until further notice. But I had learned enough about God to know that though chocolate could numb the ache for a second, it wouldn’t last. Only He could lift me from this pit.
So I did what He had taught me to do in times past. I went to His Word. It sounds cliche but when He tells us that His Word lights our paths and can comfort our weary souls, it’s true. Remember these words of David?
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.Psalm 119:105
And this particular day on that plaid couch, He spoke to me. He reminded me that He saw me and He would be faithful no matter what was up ahead. He reminded me that He knew that path and would lead me along the way.
My circumstances didn’t change that day. And more pits of despair tempted me over the coming years—they still do at times—but He did change my perspective that day. He encouraged me. He graced me with the strength I needed to take another step. He helped me be a mom, one minute then the next.
As I clung to His Word, He was faithful. This is the truth I desperately want to share with you through these free printable Bible verses.
Why We Need Encouragement from Scripture
Maybe you haven’t walked the same journey as me, but I’m sure you can testify that life is tough. It can be full of circumstances that tempt us towards unbelief in the goodness of God and His faithfulness to His children. And when I’m fighting unbelief this is one verse I go to!
No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised.Romans 4:20-21
We need constant encouragement from Scripture to remind us of what’s true…especially when life is hard. That’s why I created this set of printable Scripture cards. I wanted a quick reference that would help build my faith when I needed it most. And of course, I had to make them into a free printable set for you!
Printable Bible Verses for When You Need Encouragement
These printable Bible verses are divided into categories to meet you exactly in your time of need.
Bible Verses for when you need hope
- Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us. Ephesians 3:20
- For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. Psalm 62:5-6
- Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23
Bible Verses for when you are hurting
- For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. 2 Corinthians 4:17
- “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
- Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7
Bible Verses for when you feel overwhelmed
- Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
- And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15
- You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
Bible Verses for when you need to feel loved
- Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations. Deuteronomy 7:9
- My steadfast love I will keep for him forever, and my covenant will stand firm for him. Psalm 89:28
- The Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you. Jeremiah 31:3
Bible Verses for when you need security
- You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. John 15:16
- For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25
- He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness, for not by might shall a man prevail. 1 Samuel 2:9
Bible Verses for when you feel like giving up
- Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles and the judgments he uttered. 1 Chronicles 16:11-12
- Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12
- The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9
Bible Verses for when you feel lonely
- For the Lord will not forsake his people, for his great name’s sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you a people for himself. 1 Samuel 12:22
- It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. Deuteronomy 31:8
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
Bible Verses for when you need God’s provision
- And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
- He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and merciful. He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever. Psalm 111:4-5
- His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence. 2 Peter 1:3
Bible Verses for when you need a promise
- And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6
- Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25
- No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
Bible Verses for when you feel afraid
- But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3:3
- But whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster. Proverbs 1:33
- This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him. Psalm 18:30
Reading and thinking on Scripture doesn’t necessarily change our circumstances. But it can change us. Hope can rise up in the midst of hopeless situations. Peace can guard our hearts even when there are unknowns up ahead. And the love of God can comfort when the world has rejected us.
How to Use This Set of Printable Bible Verses
I’ve created these printable Bible verses to be stored in a recipe box. You will find divider cards with the sections marked: hope, hurting, fear, etc.
First, download and print the document on cardstock. You could do this from home or send it to your local print shop or office supply store. There are 144 different printable Bible verses to make into cards (about 3×5 size). I have included an ESV and KJV set, so you’ll want to check which pages to print!
After printing, cut out the cards and store them in a recipe box behind the corresponding divider card. You could get a box from the dollar store and even decorate it with permanent markers or paints if you’re feeling extra creative.
Then when you’re needing some encouragement, pull out a few of the printable Bible verse cards from the appropriate section and put them all around your house. Tape it to your bathroom mirror, stick one to your refrigerator, or put one on your car dashboard. Then read and repeat, reminding yourself of what’s true even when life doesn’t make sense.
Printable Scripture For When You Don’t Know What to Pray
Often I pull out a verse and simply pray its words. This is especially helpful on days when life hurts too much to find the words to pray. This is exactly what David did over and over again throughout the Psalms.
When circumstances began to swirl, he would begin to meditate on the character of God, literally preaching truths to himself. By the end of the Psalm, nothing in his circumstances had changed, but his hope and faith were renewed.
God remains the same no matter what, even if we aren’t quite sure what He’s doing. He can be trusted. His Word is true. Let’s be found standing firmly on it!
Get your own set of printable Bible verses by clicking the image below.
More Printable Bible Verse Resources
- Are you looking for meaningful Scripture verses for your child’s season of life? Pick from this list of 35 Power-Packed Memory Verses for Kids.
- Ready to add scripture memory to your family time? You’ll love these 27 Bible Verses to Memorize as a family.
- You might also like these 14 easy memory verse games. They are for kids, but who says grown-ups can’t use them?
- If you are new to learning Bible verses, you’ll love this Ultimate Guide to Scripture Memorization. It’s full of tips, strategies, and resources.